4th and final week of my detox! Peter says my skin is glowing and I’ve now lost 3.5kg. Yippee! I made this vegetable curry today and wanted to share it because it’s incredibly easy, and yet delicious. Again, it’s from Max Tomlinson’s book, Clean Up Your Diet.
* gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, yeast-free, soya-free, egg-free, nut-free, seed-free, citrus-free
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Detox Vegetable Curry
Author: Grace Cheetham
Recipe type: Lunches
- 110g/4oz/½ cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2.5cm/1in root ginger, grated
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- a large pinch cayenne pepper
- 450g/1lb ripe tomatoes
- 300ml/10 fl oz/1¼ cups water
- ½ cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 75g/2½oz green beans, cut into 2.5cm/1in lengths
- a large handful baby spinach leaves
- 9–10 gratings nutmeg
- a small bunch coriander leaves, chopped, to serve
- Put the rice in a saucepan and pour in boiling water. Cook, according to the packet instructions.
- Put the onion and olive oil in a wok or deep frying pan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and spices and cook gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes. Cut a cross in the top of each tomato and put in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and leave for 10 seconds. Remove the tomatoes from the water using a slotted spoon, and peel off the skin when they are cool enough to handle. Discard the seeds and roughly chop the tomato flesh.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water to the onion mixture. Raise the heat to medium, bring up to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then transfer to a liquidizer and blitz until smooth.
- Put the cauliflower and sauce in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring up to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 3–4 minutes, until the beans are tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute, until just wilted. Season with the grated nutmeg.
- Drain any excess water from the rice. Serve the curry on a bed of rice, with the coriander sprinkled over.
I made this and it was delicious! I did add zucchini which i think made it even better!
Hi Emma, Lovely addition! Gx