Rich, dark chocolate with crunchy hazelnuts. You won’t be able to tell these don’t contain gluten or dairy! It’s easy to find dairy-free chocolate – simply look for dark chocolate with a very high percentage of cocoa solids and often these don’t use any dairy products. But do check the ingredients on the packet carefully, as some do. And make sure you get pure vanilla extract, rather than vanilla flavouring.
* gluten-free, dairy-free, yeast-free, seed-free, citrus-free
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Chocolate & Hazelnut Brownies
Author: Grace Cheetham
Recipe type: Teas/Snacks
- 150g/5oz dairy-free margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 200g/7oz dairy-free dark chocolate, with at least 70 per cent cocoa solids
- 200g/7oz/ 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g/2oz/scant ⅓ cup rice flour
- 25g/1oz/scant ¼ cup gram flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 100g/3½oz/heaped ¾ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 20 x 30cm/8 x 12in baking tin with dairy-free margarine and line the base with non-stick baking parchment.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large heatproof bowl. Rest the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir from time to time until the chocolate has melted. Add the margarine to the bowl and continue stirring occasionally until it is completely melted and mixed in with the chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the sugar, followed by the beaten eggs and vanilla essence. Stir to mix well, then sift the flours and baking powder into the bowl and carefully fold in with a metal spoon, making sure the mixture is thoroughly combined but not stirred too heavily, or the air will be lost. Fold in the nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly into the corners with the back of the spoon. Bake in the hot oven for 12–15 minutes until risen and firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre has just a little mixture sticking to it. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Cut into 20 squares.
Leave a Reply