A deliciously crunchy-base and mouth-watering topping, with shavings of dairy-free cheese on top. The key to this is to sprinkle the dairy-free cheese over at for the very last few minutes – to prevent the dairy-free cheese becoming gloopy.
* gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, citrus-free
- 85g/3oz/½ cup rice flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85g/3oz/¾ cup gram flour
- 30g/1¼oz/scant ¼ cup maize flour
- scant ½tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- dairy-free margarine, for greasing
- 4 tbsp passata
- 1½ tbsp tomato purée
- 150g/5oz nitrate-free Parma ham, thinly sliced
- 60–100g/2¼–3½oz dairy-free cheese, shaved
- a handful rocket
- Sift the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast and mix in well. Make a well in the middle and pour in the oil. Gradually work the flour into the oil, using a wooden spoon or your fingertips, until well blended. Pour in 100ml warm water, a little at a time, and continue mixing to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface liberally dusted with rice flour and knead thoroughly for about 10 minutes. Place in a clean bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave at room temperature for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Grease a baking sheet with dairy-free margarine. Turn the dough out again onto the floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes, then form into a ball. Flatten slightly, roll out into a large circle about 1cm thick and cut with a knife to neaten. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Make the topping by mixing together the passata and tomato purée in a bowl. Spread this mixture over the pizza base and top with the ham. Bake in the hot oven for 12 minutes until the base is starting to turn brown and the tomato sauce is bubbling. Sprinkle the cheese shavings over and bake for a further 3 minutes. Take the pizza out of the oven, sprinkle the rocket over the top and serve.