The combination of the mildly sweet, aniseed flavour of the fennel, the earthy sweet beetroot and the beautifully bland potatoes in this recipe is wonderful. The creamy sauce with cheese flavour offsets all the flavours and adds a soft richness to the dish. Great for a simple midweek supper, with salad and/or a crunchy coleslaw, or with a roast for Sunday lunch.
Preparation time 10 minutes Cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes, plus 15 minutes resting time Serves 4
* gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, seed-free, citrus-free
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Fennel, Beetroot & Potato Gratin
Author: Grace Cheetham
Recipe type: Sides
- dairy-free margarine, for greasing
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced fairly thinly
- 3 beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500ml/17fl oz/2 cups soya cream
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g/7oz dairy-free soya cheese, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas 6 and grease a large baking dish. Trim the leafy fronds at the top of the fennel and leave to one side. Slice each bulb fairly thinly lengthways. Cover the base of the dish with a layer of half of the fennel slices, season lightly with salt and pepper and then repeat with half of the potato slices, then all of the beetroot slices, then the rest of the potato slices and finally the rest of the fennel slices, seasoning throughout.
- Pour the soya cream into a jug and add the garlic and half of the grated soya cheese. Pour the cream mixture over the top of the vegetables and sprinkle the remaining grated soya cheese over the top. Bake for 40–45 minutes until the cheese on the top is golden brown and the vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
Waw, Grace! Your gratin looks just stunning! MMMMM,..Another must make of yours!