Recently Zoë discovered the pine nuts in the kitchen cupboard. Much nibbling (and a little scattering) later, these are now her new favourites. So I made quinoa with them – and added passion fruit, again because she loves them. It’s often hard to know what to do with quinoa but this is a great way to eat it. The crunchy, chewy textures of the passion fruit and the pine nuts combine brilliantly with the soft quinoa. What’s more, the tangy fruit tastes of the passion fruit, along with the earthy, nutty flavours of the pine nuts, blend with the flavours of the oil, balsamic vinegar and the herbs – and the quinoa literally soaks these flavours up. Delicious!
* gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, seed-free, citrus-free
- 300g/10½oz/scant 2 cups quinoa
- 70g/2½oz/scant ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 passion fruits, seeds scraped out
- 1 small handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1 handful parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 handful coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt (optional)
- Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse well. Transfer to a saucepan and pour over 500ml/18fl oz/2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer for 15–20 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. If there is any water left, drain the quinoa thoroughly. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pine nuts and dry-fry until just starting to turn golden. Remove from the heat and add to the serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Season if you like and serve either warm or cold.