Dive into a vitamin-packed Blueberry and Banana Muffin. These make life deliciously easy! You can quickly make these the night before, or at the weekend – and then keep them in an airtight container for 2–3 days. Grab a breakfast on-the-run, pack them into your bag for a nutritious mid-morning snack, or eat them warm from the oven. Your whole family will love these, even if they’re not gluten- or dairy-intolerant.
* gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, yeast-free, citrus-free
- 75g/2oz½ dairy-free margarine, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 50g/2oz/¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml/3½fl oz/scant ½ cup soya or nut milk
- 100g/3½oz/heaped ⅔ cup rice flour
- 100g/3½oz/scant 1 cup gram/chickpea flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 150g/5oz blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease 10 paper muffin cases and place them in a muffin tray. Put the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl and, using a hand-held electric whisk, beat well until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg, a little at a time, then beat in the soya milk.
- Sift in the flours and baking powder and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until mixed. Be careful not to overmix, and don’t worry if you can still see lumps in the mixture.
- Carefully fold in the mashed bananas and the blueberries, then spoon the mixture into the prepared paper cases, filling each one about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the hot oven for 20–25 minutes until well risen and just firm to the touch, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Take the muffins out of the oven and either eat them warm or transfer them in their paper cases to a wire rack to cool.