Savour a deliciously creamy gluten-free and dairy-free Bircher Muesli. This is a great start to the day! Guaranteed to stave off any hunger pangs until lunchtime, this recipe is loaded with fibre, protein and a good dose of antioxidants.
* gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, yeast-free, seed-free, citrus-free
- 200g/7oz/2 cups gluten-free oats
- 350ml/12fl oz/scant 1½ cups apple juice
- 2 apples
- 50g/2oz sugar-free dried apple, chopped
- 125g/4oz soya or coconut yogurt
- 100g/3½oz seasonal berries, such as raspberries and blueberries
- Put the oats in a large mixing bowl and pour over the apple juice to cover them. Cover the bowl and leave to soak overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, peel and grate the apples and add to the oat mixture. Stir in the dried apple and yogurt.
- Spoon the mixture into bowls. Scatter the berries over each helping and serve.
- Variation: To make different versions of bircher muesli, you can use 200g/7oz/2 cups buckwheat flakes instead of the oats. Alternatively, you could try 200g/7oz/2 cups quinoa flakes, but you will need an extra 150ml apple juice.